Friday, September 30, 2016

Hi! I'm Carman!

Hi, I'm Carman.  I live on Whidbey Island and that's also where I grew up.  I was on a different career path out of high school, for about ten years, but it didn't suit me all that well.  After that I started to become a gardener, which has been wonderful!  A year ago I started the Edmonds horticulture program as a full-time student and I love it so far! 



I should have my program completed, except for one class, by this coming spring.  The one class I'll still need won't be offered again until spring 2018.  I'm not sure if I'll take more classes at Edmonds during that time, like going through the Spanish program, or spend most of the time working.

My plan after graduation is to have my own garden management company on Whidbey Island.  That's sort of similar to what I was doing before starting at Edmonds but I'll offer a lot more services now and just generally do a better job of it.  I might also be interested in working for a city or a public garden for a couple years out of Edmonds, just to get the experience.  It depends on how well I continue dealing with the commute and if an opportunity presents itself.

My degree from Edmonds will be in Landscape and Restoration Horticulture.  The Restoration part of that started in the spring when I took an Introduction to Restoration Ecology class.  It was in that class that I started focusing on the fact that I've never really had an ecology class before.  When I have my own company I'll be interested in forest restoration (ecology) practices when I get large estate garden clients that also have natural woodland.  It'll also be possible that I could have clients that have wetlands on their property, or other unique ecosystems, although my interest is currently mostly about forest ecosystems.  But I am excited about all the things we'll learn in class this quarter!

This class is contributing to my program as a substitute for a sustainability energy class that's not currently being offered.  I live on 4 acres with my parents.

1 comment:

  1. A garden management company sounds like really interesting work, it's great that you have such a good idea of what you want to do when you're done with school.

    It can really suck when a class you need isn't offered right away, but I hope it's worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete