Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Wetlands!

The field trip to Narbeck Wetland Sanctuary was a lot of fun (despite being extremely cold). I really enjoyed seeing the landscape and going on a 'hunt' for different species of both plants and animals.



The highlight of the field trip for me was finding a Downy Woodpecker. I've never seen a woodpecker before! I was also quite interested in the Paper Birch and what causes it to shed its bark. I learned a lot of information about how wetlands function and why they are so important but what surprised me the most was that they have close to equal NPP as compared to tropical rain forests. I also learned about different classifications of wetlands.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures, Julian! I also enjoyed searching for and identifying different species. That was a pretty great find with the woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete