Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Narbeck wetlands

the most interesting thing I learned I think would be related to the different types of wetlands and how they are categorized.  Wetlands such as swamps, marshes, bogs, have different types of vegetation and rates of water movement.  The fact related to the types of wetlands that is intriguing is how different areas house different levels of biodiversity, and unique species.  Some wetlands may contain more overall biodiversity which allows more inhabitants to prosper while other wetlands are perhaps less hospitable and harbor rare species.

Wetlands are essentially a bio filter, slowing down water movement which allows things to be broken down.  Wetlands are extremely productive ecosystems and have a lot of energetic activity within them.  Another very important feature is flood control.  Wetlands act as a barrier as well as a resivoir for excess water, giving extra water a place to stay rather than rushing into forests or cities.   One more feature is restoring ground water, which could relate to flooding.  Water is allowed to slowly trickle rather than rushing to the ocean.

There were multiple organisms that caught my interest.  The most captivating was most definentely the bull frog I stumbled upon.  Was hanging out in a pool of water near the forested area.  Although it is winter I was still able to find some fruits, not edible but fruits none the less.  They were snowberries, I typically think of fruit as something that occurs in the spring time dominantely but there is still plant reproduction happening during all seasons depending on the species.  I also found a single stinky robert weed that was flowering.  Very peculiar, perhaps it was the first of many to flower or had a mind of its own, but it really stood out to me.

2 comments:

  1. That bullfrog was really cool to see, I am glad I noticed that guy!

    ReplyDelete