Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Narbeck wetland!

    Going to the Narbeck wetland was very interesting, especially since I live a few blocks away from the Edmonds wetlands, learning more about their ecological importance was cool. One thing that I really appreciated about this particular field trip is that,  before attending this class,  I honestly would have merely seen a body of water with some shrubs and trees...Now,  having taken and almost completed this class,  I see a vast array of ecological diversity within our wetlands; something I would not have considered before.
     I was very intrigued to learn that there are many different types of wetlands, and that they serve different functions. From bogs to marshes,  they all serve invaluable roles within our planet, especially with regard to our oceans. Wetlands filter runoff from the cities and farms that can harm the ocean, they serve as a reprieve for birds during migration, and they are also a place where marine animals can mature before they go out to sea, among other things.
     I was interested to see and learn about the different plant species that thrive in the wetlands, one of which was the Snow Berry. The plant bares a white, small and round bulb that resembles a marshmallow. I also saw a tree that appeared to have been cut by a beaver, as well as some ducks, both male and female, as well as a Chickadee.
     Wetlands are such a vital part of our planet, and it is really important for the public to be aware of this importance. Too many people look at wetlands, marshes, bogs and such as just a nuisance that attract mosquitoes, or put a damper on their building projects. In truth, the world that we have created is even more dependent on wetlands, because of the pollution that we have put into our water systems. Without wetlands, the runoff and with it, pesticides and herbicides and fertilizer get washed into our oceans and cause severe damage.

1 comment:

  1. I live in Mukilteo, so this is right in my backyard. I would have never known about this wetland if it hadn't been for this class. It pretty cool to know that I have beavers so close to where I live.

    ReplyDelete