Sunday, November 13, 2016

Bird Field Trip

I really enjoyed learning about birds and their various calls, I felt it was the most interesting part of the field trip and it's something I would love to learn more about. My family has always been pretty wildlife friendly and as a result we get a lot of different birds that come to our yard, I would like to get to a point where I can identify them by their different calls.

Birds are an important part of the ecosystem because they are carriers. Birds eat various fruits and seeds, and then carry those seeds and disperse them around their territory. Birds are also a prey species, and are an important food source to a variety of predators. Some birds, like woodpeckers, are considered keystone species. Woodpeckers create cavities in trees that are used by many other species.

An interesting species of bird that we encountered on the field trip was the Chestnut-backed Chickadee. They are a small species with a short beak, long, narrow tails, and short wings. They have black and white heads like other chickadees, and have a chestnut colored back (unlike other species of chickadees, which often have gray backs).



2 comments:

  1. I too liked the various calls that we learned about and discussed. I'd be interested in learning a lot more and being able to identify I wide array by sound alone. Good choice of bird by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chickadee is an adorable house hold favorite of my family. I could watch and listen to them for hours. They are pretty social from what I've witnessed.

    ReplyDelete