Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Blog Post #6: Synthetic Sanctuaries

     Besides being a good excuse to get outside and take a nature walk, the visit to Narbeck Wetland Sanctuary Park was actually fairly informative to me. One new thing I learned that stood out to me was what "leaky berms" were, and how they were important to the structure of Narbeck Park. It's pretty fascinating how water can so easily travel in a wetland, yet still remain stagnant and undisturbed in the process.


     Also, this excursion did give me some appreciation for the importance and impact wetlands have on an ecosystem. Not only hosting a multitude of diverse species and populations of organisms, but also for the amount of Net Primary Productivity a wetland can exhibit, which I learned can equal that of even a tropical rain forest. Furthermore, the wetland system is so incredibly important for the health of our watershed. Being able to slowly take in heavy rainfall without flooding immensely is a huge support for the health of the surrounding environment.


     One thing I thought was intriguing about the Narbeck marsh itself was the variety of flora that I don't usually encounter in a more urban or even forested environment. Top highlights for me being probably the invasive Purple Loosestrife and the rather marshmallow-ey Snowberry. Granted I was searching more carefully than I normally would outside of class for interesting species, but their was definitely a noticeable influx that was quite cool to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment