Monday, October 24, 2016

PNW mushroom population

I decided to do my survey in Hickman park in downtown Edmonds, At the time of this survey, it was between the hours of 5pm and 6pm. The weather was rainy.
This park is a very vast feature of downtown Edmonds, sprawling many acres, I decided to survey the mushroom, Galerina.
It is a medium sized mushroom at its full growth potential, and has a coloration of light brown to darker orange/brown with maturation. The average number of organisms across the site that I surveyed was 6.1. However, they were extremely clustered, 4 of the areas I surveyed were completely devoid of mushrooms, while the highest frequency site was at 21 mushrooms for the upper left hand quadrant.  The terrain that seemed to be the most susceptible to the Galerina mushroom that I was seeking was areas with shade, but still open enough to have enough rainfall. Along the gravel pathway, there were no mushrooms anywhere on or around it; as the area around it was water logged and had no decaying matter for the mushrooms to munch on. Also, while walking around the park, I noticed that the mushroom I was seeking, as well as any other fungi avoided high traffic areas such as the playground.


, The area of most interest, with the highest frequency of the mushroom, was under a medium sized rhododendron bush with large coniferous and broad leaf maple trees above it. Above the Rhodie, there were Douglas Firs, Golden Maple trees, and Western Red Cedar. The mushrooms seemed to prefer areas that had a ton of decomposing matter in which to munch on, areas where the sunlight was not a hindrance, but at the same time acquired enough rainfall to sustain themselves. In the area surrounding the highest-frequency of mushrooms, large maple leaves, a few dead logs, and other organic matter were decomposing, providing a perfect diet for my little fungal friend. The fungi also seemed to avoid ground dwelling organisms such as ivy. The fungi preferred areas of shade, but also with areas that still have a significa nt amount of rainfall, but not to the point of being soppy in nature. They love decomposing matter, and seem to avoid ground dwelling plants such as ivy and ferns, The only thing that hindered my attempt at this survey was the fact that it was pouring down rain, my notebook was soaked. Also, a few patrons of the area looked at me as if I was insane, because of my circular device by which to analyze my quarry, I used three disassembled coat hangers...so, I guess I made my own bed, har har.

No comments:

Post a Comment