Friday, December 9, 2016

Shannon point!!!

    Shannon point was an absolutely gorgeous and captivating site to have a field trip. I learned about the mutualistic relationship between sea anemone and algae that causes a green pigmentation to the anemone. This symbiotic functionality is specific to the West Coast. We also learned about the career paths available to scientific divers and the qualifications to be granted such a title.  I would love it but I've looked into The Divers Institute and I do not qualify :( .
      While traipsing through the grounds of Shannon Point, completely unencumbered and carefree, I was  captivated by the majestic beauty surrounding me. As I skipped along the proverbial yellow brick road, a strange looking mushroom crossed my path.  "Aha!" I said to myself.  This is what I've been coveting, though I hadn't even known I had been searching for anything in the least.  It appears to be a False  Morel mushroom. Can I be sure? No, no I cannot, as I am at the mercy of Google Images. However, the "melting" characteristics and the dark color and nooks upon the surface of the mushroom give me some hope that my identification is correct. Also, it looks like a brain. My brain told me, "Dana, stay back!" But alas, I could not, I reached down and stroked the mushroom. I then freaked out and went to the bathroom and washed my hands. The end.
False Morel mushrooms are the counterpart to the Black Morel, which is highly coveted and edible. The False Morel is considered dangerous to eat. The Black Morel has a hollow inside, and the cap is generally longer than the stem. Alternatively, the False Morel is not hollow inside and has a more lopesided shape. The real Black Morel is shaped like a tear drop. However I'm still not convinced that this mushroom is either, just a layman's best guess so if anyone has any ideas, please comment!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment